POLI 272 BAYESIAN METHODS
Due 29 October 2009
All homeworks must be neatly typed with Microsoft Word or its equivalent with all R
and WINBUGS code shown in an
- Follow the instructions in Running Regressions in STATA and WINBUGS
and run regressions using 3 of the Excel spreadsheets posted on
Excel Spreadsheet Download Page. In particular, pick 3 that are at least 20 years apart
but none before H50.XLS (1887-88 U.S. House of Representatives)! For example, H60.XLS, H70.XLS, and H80.XLS are each
20 years apart.
- Show the results from STATA and the corresponding results
from WINBUGS in the fashion explained in
Running Regressions in STATA and WINBUGS and shown in the handout
Reagan Presidential Support Example for WINBUGS (PDF).
- Show the statistics for the Betas and Sigma with updates at 1000, 10,000, and 100,000. How do the results
- Show the Density plots for the Betas and Sigma. Do these make sense?
- Show the Auto Correlation plots for the Betas and Sigma. Do these make sense?
- Show the History plots for the Betas and Sigma. According to the WINBUGS
Manual, "Checking Convergence" (near the end), do the chains look like they have converged?
- For one House File (Not all three!), run the following Probit in both
STATA and WINBUGS. Treat
partydum as the dependent variable and run:
probit partydum x2 southdum
Report the STATA results and repeat 1a) - 1e) for this problem as well.
model illustrating how to use Probit